The following is my list of the most effective methods of thanking first-time customers for their business:
1. Expressing Appreciation in Person-Thanking customers in person is the most personal way to express appreciation. It should be done as frequently as possible. However, there are times when this is not possible.
2. Expressing Appreciation over the Phone- Thanking customers over the phone for their business is an effective method but it is not as personal as thanking them in person. However, if it is not possible to thank them in person, expressing appreciation over the phone is the second best option.
3.Sending a Thank You Card- A thank you card is the most personal and non-verbal means of expressing appreciation. A card is most likely to be open and retained. As a result, first-time customers are most likely to keep you in mind for re-peat business and referrals. However, the power of sending out thank you cards is maximized when one also uses one of the verbal means to express appreciation.
4. Text Messages- Thanking customers by sending them a text message(cell-phone) is an excellent way of complimenting the verbal means of expressing thanks. Clients are more likely to open and read text messages and physical greeting cards than e-cards and e-mails.
5. Sending a Thank You E-Mail-Sending a thank you message by e-mail immediately after one enrolls as a customer is another way to compliment verbal means of expressing thank you. Unlike e-cards, e-mails are more likely to be opened and lack viruses.
6. Sending E-Cards- The visual imagery of e-cards is more powerful than e-mails. However, E-cards lack the attention getting power of an actual physical card. Secondly, unlike text messages and traditional e-mails, the FBI claims that e-cards are notorious for delivering viruses to its recipients. E-cards should be considered only when the associate is certain that the customer will recognize the associate's E-mail address.
Again, traditional methods of follow-up which involve traditional marketing can be an effective way to generate loyal customers and generate referrals. But combining traditional marketing with genuine expressions of appreciation is ideal during this era of marketing. Customers are more likely to become re-peat customers or generate referrals without being asked when marketers show that they care about them as human beings outside of business. However, to avoid overkill, marketers should use one verbal means and one visual/written means to express genuine appreciation.